Whether I've helped a client sell their home, buy a new, one or both, I'm often contacted shortly after moving day regarding the previous owner's mail still arriving. Sometimes the mail is just "junk mail" but other times it's very important information from their bank or even the Canada Revenue Agency.
Whether you have just moved or you are about to, here's a list of some folks I recommend you contact as soon as possible to let them know of your new address. I've provided some links to the respective websites to make it easier for you.
If you think of any that I've missed, please let me know and I'll update this post for everyone else...
- Canada Post offers several affordable mail forwarding options. Even if you are very organized and do your best to contact everyone regarding your new address, Canada Post's mail forwarding service helps ensure nothing gets missed
Canada Customs and Revenue Agency:
- The CRA is an important one that seams to get missed often. This could effect your Child Tax Benefits, GST Rebates, CPP, Income tax etc. Don't forget to change your personal and business/GST/PST accounts...from my experience, these two departments do not share information with each other.
Banks and Credit Card Companies:
- This one is pretty straight forward but if you are like me, you may have several different banks and financial institutions. Here are a few memory joggers to make sure you don't forget about one:
- All Banks including daily banking, investments, loans etc.
- All credit card companies
- Financial Advisors & Investment Brokers
- Additional mortgages on investment properties
- Life Insurance
- Investment Property Insurance
- New house insurance...you did remember to get house insurance, right?
- ICBC If you have moved out of area, check your coverage to ensure you are still properly insured.
- Your boss may need to send you an award or a promotion letter some day...make sure he or she knows where to send it!
Doctors, Dentists, Vets:
- Family Doctor, Specialists, Optomitrist, Vet etc.
Cell Phone / Cable / Internet / Netflix:
- Here are some links to some of the popular service providers:
- Don't forget to drop by City Hall and let them know that you have moved. If you have moved from one community to another, you may wish to visit the City Hall in your old community to advise of your new address and ask about stopping any property tax installments and also your new City Hall to ask about paying property taxes and dog licenses. Here are a few direct links:
- Magazines, Clubs, Sports Teams, Newsletters etc.
I hope you find this helpful and if I've missed anything you think I should add, I'd love to hear from you.
Oh, by the way...I'm never too busy for your referrals!